The Department of Sports Activities falls under the umbrella of the Deanship of Student Affairs and was founded in 1995. One of its most important goals is to instill students with a sound understanding of the importance of physical education and athletic activity, as well as raising awareness of sports culture among the University’s students and encouraging them to improve their athletic abilities and skills by utilizing their free time in the practice of various sports activities.
The duties of the Department of Sports Activities
Internal sporting events are the most popular among students, and they include:
- Daily, free activities: Students participate in a variety of individual and team sports.
- Internal tournaments (public): the aim is to encourage as many students as possible to participate in a range of tournaments, according to their preferences, and from there students are chosen to play in various School teams.
- University tournament: Teams representing the different Schools participate in tournaments in most types of sports.
- Participation in sports meetings with other public and private universities.
- Participation in tournaments organized by the Jordanian University Athletic Union.
- Participation in the El Hassan Youth Award program.
- Organization and participation in different sports tournaments run by public and private companies and institutions.
- Attracting students with sporting talents from among national teams and high-ranking clubs.
- Planning the program of activities for all types of sports and distributing the events throughout the semester.
The University provides outdoor sports facilities including soccer pitches, volleyball and basketball courts, as well as internal facilities including the gym (fitness and body-building equipment) as well as multi-purpose games hall (table tennis, billiards, chess).
The University administration gives special focus to students who excel athletically and strives to attract them to represent the University in international, Arab region and local sporting events by offering sports scholarships covering up to 50% of tuition fees.
Top accomplishments of the year 2013/2014
- Winning first place in the University of Petra Basketball Championship for Jordanian Universities (Men).
- Winning second place in the Table Tennis Championship for Jordanian Universities (Ladies).
- Winning second place in the Philadelphia University Basketball Championship for Jordanian Universities (Men).
- Winning third place in the Basketball Championship for Jordanian Universities (Ladies).
- Winning gold, silver and bronze medals in the Jordanian Universities Taekwondo Championship.
- Social sports activities, most notably participation Sabilah and the El Hassan Youth Award, the Dead Sea Marathon and Amman Marathon as well as running activities in cooperation with the Sheraton Hotel, Amman, in order to raise funds for UNICEF. The events included traditional and folkloric dance performances, and a football match between PSUT ladies team and the Sheraton ladies team.
- Running internal tournaments in various sports, with appropriate award ceremonies for those taking top positions.
Top accomplishments of the year 2014/2015
- Winning third place in the Basketball Championship for Jordanian Universities (Men).
- Winning first place in Philadelphia University Basketball Championship for Jordanian Universities (Men).
- Winning third place in the Jordanian Universities Table Tennis Championship (Ladies).
- Ibrahim Rumman (student) won the gold medal in the Jordanian Universities Taekwondo Championship (Over 68 kg. category).
- Majd Al-Khreisha won the gold medal in the Jordanian Universities Taekwondo Championship (Over 73 kg. category).
Top accomplishments of the year 2015/2016
- Taking second place after winning against the Hashemite University, Philadelphia and Al al-Bayt University in the Jordanian Universities Five-a-Side Football Tournament (Ladies).
- Taking third place in the Men’s Singles Tennis Tournament for Jordanian Universities.
- Taking the gold medal in the Kata at the Philadelphia University Karate Championship for Jordanian Universities.
- Taking second place at the Philadelphia University Ladies Table Tennis Championship for Jordanian Universities.
- Taking first place at the Centennial Celebrations of the Great Arab Revolt for Jordanian Universities in Men’s Basketball.
As part of the Kingdom’s celebrations for the Centenary of the Great Arab Revolt, the Jordanian University Athletic Union organized a sports tournament where the University participated in the following sports (ladies five-a-side football, ladies handball, horse riding, swimming, volleyball, basketball (men’s and ladies), Taekwondo, karate , table tennis).
The PSUT teams achieved the following results:
- First place in Ladies Handball
- Second place in Ladies Five-a-Side Football
- Second place in Horse Riding
- Second place in Karate (Kata)
- Second place in Ladies Table Tennis (doubles)
- Second place Ladies Table Tennis (singles)
- Second place (silver medal) in Taekwondo (Men, 57 kg. category)
- Second place in Swimming (200 m. backstroke, 50 m. freestyle, 100 m. freestyle)
- Third place in Taekwondo (Men, 80 kg. category)
- Third place in Karate (Men, 62 kg. category)
- Third place in Swimming (50 m. butterfly, 150 m. breaststroke, 200 m. freestyle)
Head of Department:
Mr. Yaser Musleh
Telephone: (+962) 6 535 9949 Ext. 225
Fax: (+962) 6 534 7295
Mobile: (+962) 79 556 1970
P.O. Box 1438 Al-Jubeiha 11941 Jordan
Assistant Sports Supervisor:
Mr. Abdul-Rahman Marshoud
Telephone: (+962) 6 535 9949 Ext. 118
Fax: (+962) 6 534 729
Mobile: (+962) 79 503 2090
P.O. Box 1438 Al-Jubeiha 11941 Jordan